Thursday, October 13, 2011

Life on the Sceen: Visual Literacyin Education

Quote: We must accept the fact that learning how to communicate with graphics, with music, with cinema, is just as important as communicating with words. Understanding these rules is as important as learning how to make a sentence work.
Reaction: I really liked the article and I also agree with the quote. As people we are advancing very quickly intellectually but not emotionally. We know how to use technology, but we don't know how to communicate with it. Everything we do in a classroom is a form of commuinication and students need to know that and how to apply it. Students wouldn't misspell words on a research paper, but they probably would on a powerpoint because they don't see that as a form of communication so they think proper english doesn't apply. Students need to know that no matter what the subject is whether it be math, science, or music, that communication is very important and that they need to try to use proper grammer in everything. Teachers need to be showing students how proper grammer is used in every subject so they can do better.
References:
Daly, J. (2004, September 14). Life on the screen: visual literacy in education. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/lucas-visual-literacy

Riesland, E. (2005, March). Visual literacy and the classroom. Retrieved from http://home.blarg.net/~building/strategies/literacy/riesland.htm
Related Sources: http://home.blarg.net/~building/strategies/literacy/riesland.htm

7 comments:

  1. I agree with this quote 100%. Communication is so important in today's world! As teachers we must be able to communicate as well as be able to teach our students how to communicate with us and with their classmates. Communication is the key to success. We have to be able to communicate. You have to be able to communicate verbally and nonverbally. Learning these tools helps with every aspect of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think every subject should be taught with digital information. I think Lucas is absolutely right with his concept. Communication is about feeling, seeing, and experiencing. A math problem demonstated with animation...How cool and engaging would that be?! I think the students would really connect with that concept. Learning the tools of communication in all realms would make for successful students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! As teachers, we need to help our students communicate, not only with each other, but with adults too. If these kids can't communicate what they are feeling or their ideas, they will be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you! Kids do have problems communicating their thoughts and feelings through digital technology for many reasons. Some don't know how to use digital technology and others don't feel that since it's not just a written paper it's not important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this as well. Students today really do not know how to use grammar. In certain things they think it is okay to use bad grammar, but in others they use proper grammar. Students need to know how properly use technology in education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Students need to learn how to use various types of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Communication is the key to success. To be able to communicate together. The students need to be able to use grammer in the appropriate ways. This is very impotant in the process of growth.

    ReplyDelete